USD 16 billion for acquiring mobile messaging app WhatsApp.
Here are six reasons mentioned in the media why buying WhatsApp is worth it for Facebook:
- Facebook eliminates the competition, WhatsApp has the potential to reach 1 billion users.
- This deal hurts Google.
- WhatsApp is in developing markets where Facebook still has not really penetrated to the same extent that WhatsApp has.
- Good statistics: WhatsApp is growing by a million users a day and 70% of 450 million monthly active users come on WhatsApp daily, this is higher than Facebook. Its amount of monthly active users is higher than Twitter.
- It fits perfectly in Facebook’s strategy to bring more people on to the internet.
- There is hardly any other service in this field.